June 27, 2017 - Rescheduled from June 20

This meeting instance has been rescheduled from June 20 to June 27

7AM PST - Seattle

10AM EST - New York, DC

4PM CEST - CEST, Geneva, Copenhagen*

5PM EAT - Dar*

*Please note the updated meeting time in CEST and EAT timezones due to time change in the U.S. 



Monthly OpenLMIS Governance Committee Call. This meeting includes members of the governance committee, as well as anyone else interested in participating. 

Call Details:
WebEx Link: https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=ME5GHEQKAARDJECSRVOXOHHMB6-3O29&rnd=19239.181573
Meeting Number: 191 186 622
US Audio: WebEx Online or +1-415-655-0001
International Audio: WebEx Online


Topic

Duration

Who

Notes

Chat Captures

Call opening + introductions of new participants (if any)

  • Call for volunteer note taker

--




Gap Analysis Update

  • Gap analysis ongoing in Zambia and Tanzania by JSI and PATH to identify the gaps between the current features (and roadmap) of eLMIS in Tanzania and Zambia and the feature roadmap for OpenLMIS 3.x. Based on the outcomes of this activity, an informed decision can be made on the need to add these “gap features” to the OpenLMIS roadmap and whether a migration path makes sense, and if so, the priority of such an undertaking. 
  • Team in Tanzania is wrapping up their analysis with one final visit to a facility this week.
  • Last week, the team conducted a deep-dive into the documentation of gaps.
  • Team has been keeping track of the report through Google Docs – all feature gaps will be added to Confluence, likely starting next week.  The feature gaps will be from the combined analysis work in Zambia and Tanzania.
  • Team is on track to complete documentation by June 30, ideally earlier so the Product Committee can review and comment.
5Carl Leitner

Weekly check-in call with both TZ and ZM

JSI ZM has asked for a month extension; TZ is on track to complete within two weeks, which will then go to the Product Committee to shape and present to Lindabeth.

LB: What is the impact if ZM takes another month?

MJ: There is some impact in terms of Core planning, re: feature landscape and priorities.

Action: need to check in with Carl and ZM team to get latest update.

Ashraf: Doesn't expect great variance in features from ZM to TZ, probably mostly analytics, so should go forth and then incorporate ZM changes later


3.1 Release

See 3.1 - Stock Management blog post for details

Functionality highlights

  • View and print individual stock cards or a summary of all stock on hand
  • Perform a Physical Inventory (or Stock Count or Stock Take) to verify the electronic inventory records against physical stock quantities
  • Enter a Receipt of stock received at a facility
  • Issue (or transfer stock) from a facility
  • Record an Adjustment, either an increase or decrease, in stock levels due to a configured set of reasons, which may include stock discarded/wasted due to expiry, damage, or an increase due to third party donations


5Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Deactivated)

MJ: Considered beta release at this time

LB: Will gap analysis and stock mgmnt be factored in?

MJ: Facility Edition in ZM is more robust currently, e.g. recording transactions and wastage; not a lot of overlap with TZ.



Code of Conduct - draft to review and approve

See Code of Conduct (dev forum post) for details.

The Technical Committee discussed this proposal on June 13, 2017 and supported adopting the Contributor Covenant: http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/ .

Many open source projects adopt a Code of Conduct to make sure all collaborators pro-actively work towards a diverse and welcoming environment. It also ensures there is a clear channel to address any harassment or unacceptable behavior. The Contributor Covenant is adopted by many large open source projects including Java Spring, Jenkins and AngularJS. We recommend that the OpenLMIS Community officially adopt the Contributor Covenant as its Code of Conduct.

Next Steps: Address concerns or questions (if any) from the Governance Committee. If approved, add this Code of Conduct into our code repositories and wiki. We can also send a pro-active announcement email to members of the community.

5Brandon Bowersox-JohnsonHomework: please review and provide feedback in a week; otherwise want to consider it approved.
  • Digital Health Initiative (DHI)
  • Gap analysis
5

Carl Leitner



Advisory Board 1/2 Day Workshop results15

Jake Watson (Deactivated)

Jake:

Mandate: Look at adjacent industries for supply chain, or businesses working in supply chain in sub-saharan Africa

Can share research - fairly raw at this point.

Pharma as donors, 3PL/4PL (would require addl investment to support those features)

David/Kaleb/LB wanted to make a presentation to ISG

Allen Wilcox noted that there are 5 stages in the maturity/development in countries as they move from paper to COTS at the highest level (potentially)

OpenLMIS/Logistimo are step 3/4 out of 5 - development stages

Kaleb:

Early stages - fragmentation and development partners developing highly customized solutions that weren't adaptable/replicable

Part of work of ISG is to pull development partners together and advance the ecosystem with OpenLMIS a key solution within that. There are other COTS vendors out there who may be interested in this field in the future. How to combine open source solutions + COTS solutions

Couldn't go into details during ISG call

There are some new players within the respective partners - interest in staying engaged and using ISG as one forum

Lindabeth:

Didn't discuss much on the second day either.

Jake to circulate findings so far - how to best do that?

Ashraf:

Trying to approach pharma companies and could be explored more

Western pharma has lost out on the African market - might be interested to know how to get back into the field

Making data available to sell to pharma?

Jake:

One of the value propositions - data

Could USAID and other donors make that something that is negotiable? Possible to get that agreement up front.

This will sit with Gates and USAID to present to the working group.


OpenLMIS / Logistimo

  • Update
  • Key questions
  • Concerns
25Jake Watson (Deactivated)

Logistimo has released some of their code as open source

Reached out to VillageReach specifically

Misunderstanding that we are interested in doing a lot of implementation on behalf of Logistimo

Spent significant time looking at their features (specifically vaccine requirements) to see if there was much overlap.

Haven't been able to get a demo (they prefer 6-8 hours)

Feature overlaps (vaccine functionality) - they tick the boxes and add functionality

Just now converting their architecture from monolith to microservices

No immediate "wins" in regards to taking and using their code

We're looking to do so as part of asset management

Haven't been able to set up an instance of Logistimo by ourselves

Should we help them do a deeper dive architecturally?

There are some architectural challenges and philosophical differences that may cause challenges

Ashraf:

Technical infrastructure - programming language?

Tiers of application stack?

Jake:

They use Java. Focused on handset first. Web came later. No offline functionality for web piece. They have an API - so we've talked internally.

Open to community to participate - let Tenly know if you would like to participate

Ashraf - VIMS code is also available

Naomi - Could you give an example of what you mean by philosophical differences?

Jake - OpenLMIS was focused on Requisitions

Logistimo - They just cut a PO when someone wants something

MJ - If a customer says "this is how we do things" Logistimo is less likely to make a new feature or respond

Their philosophy is "what is the supply chain best practice" and ask customers to change their SOPs rather than responding

OpenLMIS historically has been focused on automating workflows and matching country practices so it's easier to move into automation

Logistimo is more transactional-based. They are looking to build out more approvals, but there are larger gaps between what we are doing and their

Will need to sort out an interoperability plan in Zambia. Logistimo has a footprint there.

Could repurpose their asset management piece - it will take them a while to get through a re-architecture

What LOE do BMGF and USAID want OpenLMIS to take?

What is the longer term plan?

Anup will be in US in July - nothing on the books planned yet

Kaleb - Let him know about some of BMGF's reorganizational changes

Get something scheduled and can talk later about the times that would be best for teams to meet

Question: Need more clarity on timing, especially as Logistimo starts their re-architecture process? How quickly can they accelerate?

Interesting things to explore philosophically - those may be some of the points where we get hung up

Zambia example, most real world where we have OpenLMIS and Logistimo in play and how those two systems could interoperate together to give them the most complete picture of performance to the government. Would be interesting to hear Anup's perspective on how to reinforce supply chain best practices, and also how to scale beyond India.

Customization and automating workflows that aren't best practice can sometimes hold us up. How do we learn from that as well?

They have been very successful in scaling their system across India - we could learn from that

Preview of COTS - OpenLMIS transition.

Lindabeth: Info on what we're trying to do in Zambia. NSCA (national supply chain assessment) starting a bigger conversation about what supply chain architecture looks like in Zambia. Such an ongoing conversation, would want different players to be part of.

Initiatives are not well linked - correct?

LB - It's still a struggle/ongoing battle. Everyone comes together and agrees on a way forward and then no progress was made. Coming at this as NSCA to try and change the conversation.

Link Josh/Ashraf - They acknowledge that they are new to open source, expertise in community building, they don't have expertise in anything like this. There is a desire in how to sort this out, but no quick wins.

MJ - If we want to be clear (given our timelines), we are moving forward with building the vaccine feature set

Logistimo is a side assessment - we are continuing forward with our feature development

Next Governance call - July 18

Could potentially have Anup participate in then next call (when in town possibly)

MJ - Wanted to flag that whenever we do these feature investigations it slows down our velocity. When we identified asset management, we had to look into it and would have to tackle big tech sets in order to work on that. Is it worth putting feature development on hold with the potential for it not to work? Right now - continuing to build out things ourselves because we didn't identify any quick wins. At some stage we want to figure out how to interoperate/leverage.


Malawi update

If time

Follow up with Ramy and Lindabeth re: request from Chemonics around release management:

We don't have some of the traditional processes - open source, community-driven is a bit different


Senegal user design workshopIf time

Opportunities update

Myanmar

If timeTenly Snow (Deactivated)

AOB





Community Updates

Implementations profiles are live and look great!

http://openlmis.org/impact/implementations/





French language demo video available for Requisitions functionality





Stock management demo video being developed in English and French



OpenLMIS submitted several abstracts for Global Digital Health Forum

We would welcome additional presenters or participation on any of these panels

Contact Tenly Snow (Deactivated) with questions









ATTENDANCE

USAID
Lindabeth Doby

BMGF
Kaleb Brownlow 

CHAI
Gaurav Bhattacharya

JSI
Ashraf Islam
Mattias Wiklund
Naomi Printz (TZ Field Office) 

VillageReach
Jake Watson
Tenly Snow
Mary Jo Kochendorfer
Vidya Sampath


RECORDING




ADDITIONAL READING