Monthly OpenLMIS Governance Committee Call. This meeting includes members of the governance committee, as well as anyone else interested in participating. 

Time

7:00 - 8:00 AM PST - Seattle

10:00 AM to 12:00 PM EST - New York, DC

3:00 PM CET - Geneva, Copenhagen

5:00 PM EAT - Dar


Call Details


Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/377281719

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +19294362866,,377281719# or +16699006833,,377281719#

Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 929 436 2866 or +1 669 900 6833
Meeting ID: 377 281 719

International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/byw2qkHOU


Action items for next call  


  • Type your task here, using "@" to assign to a user and "//" to select a due date


Action Items from June Governance


Notes


Topic

Who

Notes

Chat Captures

Introductions and call opening


Carl LeitnerSee attendance for role call.
  • Carl, Kaleb, Lindabeth, Mattias, Parambir, Brandon, Craig, Matt, Mary Jo, Satish

Review of SoftWorks vote 

https://goo.gl/forms/6RJUKE92l6oetWUL2

Carl Leitner

6 votes in approval, which is a majority so we are officially inviting SoftWorks to join as a Trusted Partner.

Carl: do we want to discuss how to proceed in moving forward with joining the community?

Brandon: I think we can entrust Tenly Snow (Deactivated) with the logistics (identify the point of contact for product and technical committees, review roles and responsibilities, logo on website, logins for tools, etc). Perhaps Carl Leitner can send a welcome letter/note?

To-do: Char to send welcome letter.

Kaleb: can we do a blog post or media on celebrating their joining.

To-do: DS can also re-share and amplify the post.


GHSC-PSM / Chemonics Trusted Partner representation

Carl Leitner

Parambir S Gill (Unlicensed) (if present)

  • Kyle Duarte will be leaving GHSC and will no longer be the Trusted Partner representative on the OpenLMIS Governance Committee. 
  • Parambir S Gill (Unlicensed) will now act as the representative for Chemonics / GHSC-PSM 

Parambir: thanks much and will coordinate more to understand what is needed from our end. Happy to be here. 

Carl: would it be useful to have a 10 - 15 min call to over expectations?

Parambir: yes that would useful.

ToDo: Carl Leitner and Tenly Snow (Deactivated) to have a welcome call with Parambir S Gill (Unlicensed)


Sustainability updateBrandon Bowersox-Johnson

Brandon: wanted governance input on how we rate and evaluate the vendor concept notes

Kaleb: will send around notes from the call yesterday with the vendors. Goal is to have the four concept notes by the end of July. They will not use a template.   Have by September 

Kaleb: review process via excel spreadsheet for each GC member.  look at averaged rankings.   Have flexibility if we want one or two submitters to make a full proposal based on the rankings of the concept notes.   

Kaleb: two criteria: primary proposed scope/story and (perhaps) secondary is the cost effectiveness

Carl: is there anyone that is not able to support this process or review this amount of work? Specifically there are two requests 1. to review the criteria for evaluation and 2. actual evaluation of vendors.

  • Silence as agreement (no one spoke up that this work load was an issue) so we expect all voting members to review and evaluate vendors.
  • Parambir will need a bit of time to review.

Kaleb: concept notes in on July 31

To-do: Kaleb will draft straw-man excel spreadsheet set of criteria to share with the GC by early next week.  

To-do: GC to review criteria by Aug 3 (or earlier)

To-do: GC review concept notes against criteria by Aug 10 

To-do: Britany to setup special meeting to review feedback during week of Aug 10 in advance of Aug 17 GC call



Core Team Funding Runway

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bQ6_KOUFu7cNdKoiDaG33UVBK_oFNEROwStIE6YNn5U/edit?usp=sharing

Questions: 

  1. Any feedback for VillageReach on our role as stewards?
  2. Further discussion about Notice C and DIAL under opportunities below...

Brandon Bowersox-Johnson

Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Deactivated)

Brandon: Notice B award funding is new at around $150k.  Two large funding sources end late 2018.

Brandon: Monthly burn-rate is $140-150k currently.  Annual cost is $1.7m-$1.8m range.  Does not include travel funding.  we are facing a fiscal cliff. 

Carl: Additional Notice B funding requested will be automatically considered as part of the Notice C funding review in December

Brandon: Core support is community management, product management, governance, and ongoing support and feature development.

Brandon: it is more expensive to have development across multiple organizations but has shifted epi-center of developers closer to users in SSA

Brandon: 2019 Goals - 1) quarterly releases 2) continue to narrow for upgrade to v3 and 3) continued organizational and geographic diversification of developers

Carl: suggest a Notice C submission around software development

Kaleb: good to highlight the needs.  will be increasing pressure to identify additional investors.

Lindabeth: need to show progress on GAP work. OGAC is doing a push to data triangulation (facility level supply chain data).   countries will have obligation to report this data - first step is to have countries be aware of this new requirement and start deploying OpenLMIS.

To-do: Carl to connect Mark, Kaleb and Lindabeth.

Matt: GAVI through Enfuse is becoming interested in facility healthworkers and possibility to link opensrp and openlmis work  


Gap Project Update

Burn down*:

*Numbers may retroactively shift as epics can be re-estimated on an ongoing basis. Roughly 33.4 epic points are not included in this estimate as they were de-prioritized or were too big/too vague to estimate.

Phase 1 status: mostly complete (missing approval of the interface workstream)

Phase 2 status: underway, see the Living Product Roadmap for the epics underway and upcoming

Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Deactivated)

Mary Jo: April was planing.  May was onboarding and inital work.  burn-down rate is to the left but perhaps slower due to new team organizations and summer break.   

Mary Jo: currently we wont be able to meet all the gaps by end of 2018.

Mary Jo: Release v3.4 for testing Malawi this quarter / end of July for RC.


Conferences

Conferences provide the community the opportunity for OpenLMIS members to speak or represent the OpenLMIS software and community in public forum.

All

Conferences 


Opportunities Roundtable

Definitions to use shared terminology:

  • Implementation opportunity: an opportunity for an implementation or deployment of the OpenLMIS software.  Usually this is done at a national or sub-national level within a ministry of health. This can also include feature work which would be done within the implementation and contributed back to the global codebase.
  • Community opportunity: a funding opportunity to support an organization or individual to work directly on the global codebase and/or administrate the community processes. This may include funding specific features on the community roadmap.
All

Community funding opportunities:

Challenge: Figuring out how to structure these that we could be effective in 2019 with only one or only partial of both.


Country Implementation Opportunities Updates:

  • Angola (OpenLMIS point of contact: )
  • Mozambique (OpenLMIS point of contact: Dercio Duvane)
  • Tanzania (OpenLMIS point of contact: Alfred Mchau)
  • Zambia (OpenLMIS point of contact: ?)
  • Guinea (??


  • Updates from the Community to share?
    • Ona
    • JSI
    • CHAI

AOB


Community and Product Updates
Product Updates
  • 3.4 release is planned for the end of July. Will include the first set of features funded by the Gap Project and key bug fixes for Malawi.
Community Updates

Team

  • We are excited to welcome Wesley Brown to the OpenLMIS core team. He will be replacing Brandon's role in leading the Technical Community management efforts. He brings 20 years of software development experience, including working with Banda Health. His experience with Banda Health includes working with OpenMRS and open source software in the OpenHIE ecosystem.

Community Meeting

  • Where: Planning to have it in Malawi 
  • When: late September
  • Who: OpenLMIS community members (discussion around inviting prospective users)
  • Major Theme: Bring together OpenLMIS users or those who work directly with end-users from the different OpenLMIS implementations. Dialogue about how OpenLMIS can change to better support users and the challenges they face, such as reducing the data burden and giving users the right information at the right times. Participate in human-centered design activities and usability testing of new OpenLMIS v3 features. The outcome of this community meeting will be revisions to the product design and roadmap to better meet the real-world needs of end users.
  • Support Needed: the community is discussing how to financially support members in participating. More information soon.



ATTENDANCE






RECORDING AND CHAT TRANSCRIPT 





ADDITIONAL READING