April 17, 2018

Monthly OpenLMIS Governance Committee Call. This meeting includes members of the governance committee, as well as anyone else interested in participating. 

Time 


7:00 - 8:00AM PST - Seattle

10AM to 11AM  EST - New York, DC

3:00PM CET - Geneva, Copenhagen

5:00PM EAT - Dar


Call Details


Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/214188477

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16465588656,,214188477# or +14086380968,,214188477#

Or Telephone:
Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 214 188 477
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=wRxqI2_rSgQgMuyGfkJqWpM151Lwg6Bd


Action items for next call  


Action Items from April Governance meeting

  • All: Provide feedback on draft Trust Partner and Apply documents
  • Tenly Snow (Deactivated) to follow up with representatives for Inquiries platform
  • Create a simple form for voting to approve the charter.  
  • Present an updated voting process on the next call 
  • Carl Leitner to reach out to Bahmni and OpenMRS communities for similar documentation on Trusted Partners
  • Schedule a debrief on Angola. Discussion around GS1 and presidential decree. Email Carl Leitner if you would like to participate. 


Notes


Topic

Who

Notes

Chat Captures

Introductions and call opening

Carl Leitner



Community Document Review

Carl Leitner

Voting process

Kaleb: Using forms was an easier process for voting 

Question remaining: Do we do two rounds? Tenly sent three reminders for voting. 

Other question: Changing meeting cadence to every two months? Preference for maintaining monthly cadence. Could potentially change the meeting structure or focus. 

Gavi, CHAI, VillageReach, and USAID are missing from the vote. Please get votes in by the end of the week. 

Brandon - VR

LB - USAID

Kaleb - Gates 

Edward - JSI 

Matt - Ona 

Satish - CHAI 

Carl - Digital Square 

? - PATH (country programs) 

Clarify who gets the reminder to vote 


Action item: 

Trusted Partner document review

Edward, Tenly, Matt, Carl - review documents next week 



Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) Update

OpenLMIS Sustainability Conversation 

Tenly Snow (Deactivated)

Tenly had a conversation with SFC Executive Director last week to discuss initial steps to hosting the OpenLMIS trademark. 

  • SFC is still working with DIAL to determine their price structure 
  • Participation in the "Starter Kit" would be sponsored by DIAL and free for OpenLMIS (at least initially) 
  • Concern/question is whether bringing in another party to the conversation would clarify or complicate the situation 

Pending results of sustainability conversation - may influence the way we think about the trademarking conversation. 

Questions around the license as well. 

Jake led a conversation around sustainability. Dialogue around the work that Jake had done with Heath. 

Matt - Key thing that Kaleb flagged is being better about defining our value proposition. 

Carl - Will not be doing, at least right now: Taking OpenLMIS to non-health sectors, not enough information to say that the investment would be worthwhile. Ruled out closed-sourcing as well. 

Kaleb - A good conversation. With Jake's transition it's upon the Governance committee to lay out a road map or set up questions that we need external assistance or capabilities to help us answer. Build on the presentation that was led by Jake. Is it worth sharing the business models? Understand licensing and trademarking and how that fits. How permissive the open source license structures are for SaaS, other business models. Can DIAL or SFC help with thinking through that? As Governance, would like us to lay out those key questions and the roadmap of what needs to be answered. 

Kaleb has also talked with Paul Biondich, we might have a conversation later this spring to talk about OpenLMIS. Private sector channels. Smaller sub-set of cases. Need to do more deep work consistently over the next year. 

Carl - One of the goals is to reduce donor dependency over the next few years.

Kaleb says yes. He doesn't expect that funding will come miraculously and that we can shift our role from having to cover the bulk of implementation costs but then could shift toward enabling environment costs - harder to pay for out of implementation budgets. Part of this would shift the role of what they would/could finance. Look at where it's harder to get resourcing and funding. Even with USAID it may be harder to get core community costs. Include these considerations in the roadmap for sustainability. 

Actions: 

High-level roadmap - the steps we need to take 

Get us together onto a common path, get together high-level questions 

Edward, Jake, Kaleb, Carl, Matt - Google Doc 


Gavi demo readout

  • Overview: Opportunities for coordination and webinars with country level staff and teams.
  • TPP for Gavi: Feedback due yesterday 
  • Trip report2018 OpenLMIS Advocacy Trip Report
Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Deactivated)

Will also do webinars 

Will do more detailed feature-based webinars in early May 



Mapping OpenLMIS features to SCOR

  • What is SCOR and value in doing the mapping, check out this presentation by Satish (CHAI).
  • Current draft status here. Accepting feedback and support currently.
Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Deactivated)

Will be meeting with a SCOR "expert" next week and will also be reaching out to Derrick Ritz 

Work in progress but it's an important effort to have a shared way to communicate the value-add of OpenLMIS 

Carl: Once the SCOR mapping gets finalized will it be included in the wiki or how will it be disseminated? 

Augmenting wiki page to add more information about "what is SCOR" etc. 


All-Community Meeting


Tenly Snow (Deactivated)
  • Ideas on location? 
  • Planning committee 

Alpha - talked with Alfred and had a meeting at the MOH as well 

Mentioned to them for a potential for holding the meeting in TZ 

Alpha suggested to Alfred - run the meeting through the MOH? Could get senior officials and management to participate in the meeting. In terms of officiating the meeting. Not hold it at Dar es Salaam. Have a side discussion? Use MOH venues or MOH institutions like NIMRI. Can have big meeting rooms with reasonable costs. Instead of U of Dar. 

Brandon - Does that feedback include Dlab is at U of Dar. There is an issue between Dar and the department of computer science. 

Carl - Alternative to hosting in TZ 

Edward - CdI has an implementation of the older version of eLMIS, could also hold it there. JSI hosted a WA VAN conference in CdI. UNFPA SWEDD project, Gates SOLV, WAHO folks. 

Matt - CdI has Matt's vote 

Planning committee: Reach out to Tenly 


Opportunities update roundtable

Carl Leitner facilite

Brandon 

Edward Wilson

Matt Berg 

Satish Choudhury 

  • Mozambique (SIGLUS) 
  • Cameroon
  • Cote d'Ivoire
  • DRC
  • Benin 
  • Angola
  • Guiana(?) Edward Wilson
  • Other? 

Carl - additional note on Angola. Tech camp looking at interoperability between DHIS2 and OpenLMIS. MoH has established a review process to manage the digital healt hsystems 

prioritizing OHIE compliant facility registry, DHIS2 would serve that role (along with HMIS), as OPenLMIS moves forward would draw from the facility registry 

Asking for additional support on actually deploying the facility registry (will happen this summer, later this year) 

Edward - very interested in CdI, if there's something to be engaged with in CdI. 

Guiana - May be work funded by PAHO, looking for funding for the rest of it. They may be re-engaging in the conversations. 


AOB


Community and Product Updates
Reminder: Wiki signupPlease ensure that you are signed up for the OpenLMIS wiki. Click here to sign up if you don't already have a Confluence account. 
3.3 Release Update

The team is still midst the release candidate process. We released the first candidate (RC1) on   and plan to release RC2 on . For details on the number of bugs identified and fixed within each testing phase, please see 3.3 Regression & Release Candidate Test Plan.  We hope to release 3.3 this week.

Thanks to all who reviewed or contributed to the 3.3 release blog. A draft is available for review here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/108hDvgH0p7hWMCblEg2i41t0Pa4BhyzrfAYi_-HXGN4/edit?usp=sharing

Gap Project Update

The consortium team came together in DC from  -  to estimate and scope the work. For detailed notes, please see Gap Analysis Development Project and each feature wiki page. We are currently working on the roadmap for Governance review/approval during the next meeting. In the interium, the team has identified the next items for work so we can begin to ramp up the team.

Implementer ToolkitWork on the Implementer Toolkit is on track for release with 3.3, hopefully this week. Please let Tenly Snow (Deactivated) know if you would like to review or contribute to the Toolkit. 
GS1 Conference - AddisJosh Zamor will be attending the GS1 Conference in Ethiopia in May on behalf of OpenLMIS. USAID has secured space for a poster and possibly a speaking slot. 



ATTENDANCE

Alpha Nsaghurwe

Carl Leitner

Edward Wilson

Tenly Snow

Mary Jo Kochendorfer

Ashraf Islam

Chris Opit

Kaleb Brownlow

Lindabeth Doby

Matt Berg

Mattias Wiklund 

Brandon Bowersox-Johnson  


RECORDING



ADDITIONAL READING