June 11, 2019

Monthly OpenLMIS Governance Committee Call. This meeting includes members of the governance committee, as well as anyone else interested in participating. 


  • 7:00 - 8:00 AM PST - Seattle
  • 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM EST - New York, DC
  • 3:00 PM CET - Geneva, Copenhagen (4PM during daylight saving time of the year)
  • 5:00 PM EAT - Dar (6PM during daylight saving time of the year)

Call Details

Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/377281719

One tap mobile +16699006833,,377281719# US (San Jose) or +19294362866,,377281719# US

Dial by your location: +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) or +1 929 436 2866 US
Meeting ID: 377 281 719
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/byw2qkHOU

Action items for next call   


Action Items from May Governance

  • Rebecca and others to finalize Trusted Partner Declaration of community principles
  • Rebecca Alban to write up Study Tours process and post it on the OpenLMIS website to launch it formally
  • Rebecca Alban to update the Digital Health Atlas with info@ as principle contact for all country entries. (this is in progress)Carl Leitner or other person TBD will connect with the Digital Health Atlas folks to see if we can add contact spaces for additional entries 
  • Brandon Bowersox-Johnson to draft statement that can go on our website to describe the different versions and which are supported by donors; we should also create a page describing upgrade path (2.0 to 3.0)





Chat Captures

Introductions and Call opening

  • Notes from May Governance call

May Notes 


Sustainability Update: ResonanceResonance Team

5 minute update 

June 25 & 26 at the PATH office

Global Health Happy Hour on June 25th, hosted by Gates. Details tbd

Detailed agenda will be circulated in advance

Governance webinar to be hosted tomorrow ndavis@resonanceglobal.com can send you call in information for this webinar. 10AM EST tomorrow

Study Tours process launched!Rebecca Alban

Information and application now up on the OpenLMIS website http://openlmis.org/study-tours/

Let Rebecca know if you have suggestions for suitable candidates or want to discuss further

Updates to this group: Brandon-no need to be involved in the process re applications, but to have a place listed on who has applied, and who is approved, and when tours are happening. So that governance folks can facilitate connections

folks can help coordinate, suggest schedules, people to meet with

Rebecca Alban to develop a page on wiki to document applications that have come in, which are successful, and which tours are actually moving forward

Rebecca Alban will use Discourse to circulate any updates that fall between governance meetings

Update on Product Registry workBrandon Bowersox-Johnson

'Product Catalog Management Tool'

Tool that can help with some of the problems that occur when you create a Product Catalog, keep it clean

Masted Data management of product data is difficult- this open source tool supports with this

Tool will initially help RHSC to to support the global FP VAN, funded by USAID

This tool ideally will interoperate with OpenLMIS. OpenLMIS does not have a rich product catalog management capability

This tool will be part of the Digital Square and OpenHIE open source ecosystem

Country Requirements gathering; requirements from Malawi & Rwanda have recently been gathered, to answer the question of how master data management is occurring today, and how it can be improved

(Lindabeth) How do we make sure this is optimized, not just for e2Open, but for other users that are using other systems? Brandon: None of the interoperability would be proprietary. Anything we do would be using global standards and can be plugged into other tools

Carl: terminology: directory, registry, management tool, vs catalog. Hoping to align these terminoloty as to what are the functional requirements of these different systems

Trusted Partner UpdateRebecca Alban

Refining the Trusted Partner concept

  • 1 year review period: initial year will be for onboarding and learning about community issues; then will apply for voting rights in governance (this is currently how things are). We plan to extend this review period to also incorporate level of learning, engagement, and contributions to the OpenLMIS community (product, conversations, thought leadership, technical contributions, etc.) At the end of year 1 governance will assess the partner's engagement to ensure that they are a good fit for the community
  • Adding more structure to application process:
    • request more detailed information regarding technical competencies (eventually translate this information into a competency matrix)
    • created a draft Trusted Partner Expression of Interest Checklist- to provide clarity around what technical competencies are and specific types of implementation support that an organization can provide (software development, training, requirements etc.)
    • Checklist–can help us to assess Trusted Partners and also to let us know what skills we have in the community. We will then take this back to the TPs to map out our skills
    • Rebecca Alban to circulate over Discourse to request feedback from this group (what should we add? edit?)

Infinity Systems will be the guinea pig for this new checklist

Defining other partnersCarl Leitner

For other (non Trusted Partners) that the community works with, there is currently no definition or name.

Suggestion: Donors and thought partners such as Digital Square, DIAL, GS1 be part of an 'Advisory Council'

Can/should we formalize what these roles are in the community? Would it be useful to spell out these roles? 

How does this relate to the Resonance work and the OpenLMIS future state? Does it make sense to sort these things out now?

It might be useful to have some draft language in the back of our minds, so we can have in mind what the implications are of some of the different business models

Emily: these things most likely will be changing, but good to think about how they will change to feed into the Resonance discussion

next step: meeting with Car, Rebecca, & Emily to document current state, and validate what Resonance has already documented. Rebecca Alban to set up a call

Big picture: capacity developmentCarl Leitner Rebecca Alban 

There is a need to increase the number of developers and implementing partners who know the OpenLMIS system well enough to support a deployment. Having a large pool of global assets will assist us to quickly mobilize TA, and hopefully lower our costs

iHRIS developed a self-paced online course on Moodle- to give the basics

Is there a recognized need for increased capacity development and find ways to pursue it? 

Brandon: Yes, how to onboard trusted partners and build education is a need. Can TPs join a Study Tour or see it in use? Or a week-long developer bootcamp to help spin up the instance of their computer. This is an important issue as we have grown so much in the past year

Edward: what skills would be needed to do certain tasks (customization, etc.). understanding the competencies needed FIRST might be helpful before diving into developing a training. 

Core competencies to focus on: 

-general familiarity with the system (what it can do, how it can be used). This might be tough with written materials- hands on experience is preferred

-architecture, understanding software and how it is constructed and deployed, maintained

-other non-software specific areas that we should focus on? 

Carl suggestion: Let's take the outputs of the workshop, get some direction there, look at the skills matrix that we discussed earlier, and see where we have a gap in educational resources, we can use that as a process to identify gaps

The Community Meeting in November will be a key opportunity for us to gather partners and do capacity building with them, particularly new partners

next governance call- talk about skills gaps and topics that should be covered at the Community meeting. Rebecca Alban do add this to the agenda

Conferences and Meetings

Conferences provide the community the opportunity for OpenLMIS members to speak or represent the OpenLMIS software and community in public forum.


Upcoming Conferences

  • Health & Humanitarian Logistics Conference 
    • July 10-11, 2019 in Kigali, Rwanda
  • OpenHIE Meeting
  • Helina Conference
    • Nov 20-22 Botswana
  • Global Health Supply Chain Summit
    • November 20-22 Johannesburg, South Africa
    • OpenLMIS Community Meeting
  • Global Digital Health Forum (also Global Goods meeting?)
    • Dec 9-11, Washington DC

Opportunities Roundtable

Definitions to use shared terminology:

  • Implementation opportunity: an opportunity for an implementation or deployment of the OpenLMIS software.  Usually this is done at a national or sub-national level within a ministry of health. This can also include feature work which would be done within the implementation and contributed back to the global codebase.
  • Community opportunity: a funding opportunity to support an organization or individual to work directly on the global codebase and/or administrate the community processes. This may include funding specific features on the community roadmap.
Rebecca Alban

Country implementation opportunities:

  • This Trello table is being updated on an ongoing basis; to help the core team to track and manage implementation opportunities, but also provides a detailed snapshot of the scope and status of current implementation opportunities for stakeholders.

Community Opportunities:

  • New Trello table! Similar to the above table, this tool is being used by the stewards to track our exploring of new product opportunities and partnerships


Community and Product Updates
Product Updates
Community Updates

ATTENDANCE: Brandon Bowersox-JohnsonCarl Leitner, Emily from Resonance, Gaurav BhattacharyaLindabeth DobyMattias Wiklund (Unlicensed)AshrafBrian TaliesinEdward WilsonJosh ZamorWesley Brown