January 15, 2019

Monthly OpenLMIS Governance Committee Call. This meeting includes members of the governance committee, as well as anyone else interested in participating. 

Time

  • 7:00 - 8:00 AM PST - Seattle
  • 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM EST - New York, DC
  • 3:00 PM CET - Geneva, Copenhagen (4PM during daylight saving time of the year)
  • 5:00 PM EAT - Dar (6PM during daylight saving time of the year)


Call Details


Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/377281719

One tap mobile +16699006833,,377281719# US (San Jose) or +19294362866,,377281719# US

Dial by your location: +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) or +1 929 436 2866 US
Meeting ID: 377 281 719
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/byw2qkHOU

Action items for next call   

  • xxx

Action Items from December Governance

  • Rebecca to collect capability statements from Trusted Partners to put on wiki
  • Rebecca and others to finalize Trusted Partner Declaration of community principles
  • Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Unlicensed) and Ashraf to create comparison Matrix for different OpenLMIS versions and products 

Notes


Topic

Who

Notes

Chat Captures

Introductions and Call opening

  • Notes from December Governance call

December Notes

  




Update on Sustainability Work and upcoming meeting

(5 min)

Resonance Team 

James Bernard



  meeting in Washington, DC.

  • James: Resonance team was in Malawi last week and Tanzania this week. Has also done extensive literature and market reviews. Out of the workshop, we hope to end up with 1 or 2 business models by the end of the agenda to move forward with testing. There will be a second set of market sounding trips in Spring (likely one to Africa and one to Southeast Asia).
  • Q&A: Rebecca: Remote participation: For those, like Rebecca Alban, who cannot attend.  Can we do remote participation at least for the morning? James: Yes we will set up a Zoom meeting or similar–Resonance will confirm this and let everyone know.
  • Brian: With the presentations be recorded? Discussion: Yes, Zoom or Skype for Business can be used for recording this.

BAO Systems Trusted Partner PresentationTamara Goldschmidt

  • Carl: Today is the presentation from Tamara. Then the OpenLMIS group will  conduct  a vote to be finalized by email in 1 week. Rebecca Alban to follow BAO with results and next steps
  • Tamara: Thanks for having us – we are excited to be a partner! I am the Business Development lead here at BAO Systems.
  • Key takeaways from presentation
  • BAO is based on Washington DC, projects in 5 regions, 60 plus countries
  • expertise in system hosting, supporting scaling, create support and tools for implementation/capacity building as well
  • specific expertise/interest in interoperability and integration- participation in OpenHIE
  • system integration (OpenSRP, cStock, OpenLMIS/DHIS2)
  • Data Use: analytics, visualizations, 
  • Want to offer cloud hosted, scalable hosting to OpenLMIS (save service they use for DHIS2)
  • Submissions from OpenLMIS could be available for new stock cards in DHIS2- Proof of Concept. They want a use case to implement this

Question: Brandon Bowersox-Johnson: for situations where VillageReach is doing hosting, is BAO interested in partnering and taking over some of those over time? some of are hosting reluctantly, so it might make sense for BAO who does SAS for hosting to do this. Answer: yes, they would be interested in this

Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Unlicensed): we get a lot of inquiries of folks from latin america. we currently don't have trusted partners located there. it would be great to continue the conversations about work in Latin America- especially for INGO services versus public health supply chains. Can accommodate to needs of INGOS or public health supply chains. When services are scaled  services are improved

Brian Taliesin- do you have plans for hosting relationships outside of the US/Europe? Answer: countries would need to have the infrastructure to support that- most places don't have that. We work with many countries that are skeptical of cloud hosting- we want to make them aware of the security benefits of cloud hosting. No conversations to establish hosting services outside of the US- she can follow up to verify that answer.

from Carl Leitner In OpenHIE dev opps- would be great to have BAO to contribute to that work.


Reflections from 2018 and Key Community Priorities for the coming year

Rebecca Alban to start

Ideas from all

Community Goals for 2019

1) To provide a relevant and high-quality open-source logistics management information system to facilitate prioritized workflows and inventory management in LMIC. The software must be configurable, interoperable and easy to use so that technology vendors and resources in LMICs can deploy and support the system.

  • We want to support more v3 implementations- in order to unlock and support the implementer community OpenLMIS needs to be: interoperable, configurable, easy to set up (e.g. Instant OpenHIE https://proposals.digitalsquare.io/71)
    • Increased focus on current implementations rather than getting new
  • Deeper discussion about 'shadow' migration approach (gradual) versus the 'big bang' approach for upgrades (to be used in Tanzania)
  • Create more linkages to other supply chain systems and software (e.g. Product Registry, Data Collection & Analysis platform, Decision Support Services)

By the end of this year we might have 3,4,5 different users of v3. These will have competing priorities.

Quality/performance is a hard metric; how do we measure it? So far test coverage, unit tests, number of bugs, have been our metrics for software quality. Feedback from implementer community is important- re: deployment, number of bugs, how quickly we get through them, etc.

2) To build or strengthen the implementer community and capacity of deploying OpenLMIS by strengthening community mechanisms for engagement, communication, and knowledge exchange.

  • Increase community engagement, particularly at country-level. This includes current implementers, developers, partners.
  • Empower Trusted Partners to promote OpenLMIS at global level (country visits, targeted demos, etc.)
  • Create a shared understanding of how to talk about different OpenLMIS versions (ie: which donors/implementers are associated with each, attribute experience/learnings to each unique version, etc.)
  • Continue to foster relationships with other Global goods and open source communities

Other thoughts re: goals for 2019

  • Support/facilitate and respond to sustainability work by Resonance
  • OTHER? 

Please reach out to Rebecca Alban with other thoughts or suggestions for what we should be focusing on in 2019


Transition

Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Unlicensed)

Carl Leitner 

Post: https://forum.openlmis.org/t/a-time-for-transition/4910

Mary Jo is taking another role at DIAL and leaving her role as OpenLMIS Product Manager Brian Taliesin to proviide support to support this transition. Details are in Discourse forum post

Some details are still being resolved re: roles and responsibilities

Thank you Mary Jo!

Many people expressed their thanks. "Mary Jo has been the personification of OpenLMIS" for the last few years." We wish you the very best at DIAL!

Jan 29th in DC can also be used to talk about transition plans


OpenLMIS Representation in the Digital Health Atlas

(skipped)

Rebecca Alban

https://digitalhealthatlas.org/en/-/   There is a map that stakeholders can scan to see what digital health technologies are being used in each country.

Linkages to the Global Good Guide Book (Carl Leitner to describe)

Consensus needed on who the contact/focal person for each implementation should be. 

How is it being used? Donors want to know a foot print of a solution (how scaled is it).  Additionally if anyone wants to learn more about the solution, they will want a contact which can provide that information.

Option 1) Each implementing organization is listed as the contact. If we have each implementing organization serve as the point person, we want a way to say they are all OpenLMIS.

Option 2) We list info@openlmis.org as the contact, so inquiries come to the Community Manager. If we have info@openlmis.org be the point for each implementation, we will need a way to keep it updated (right now we don’t know all the information about the scale of the solution in each country.

VOTE


Update on GAVI RFI




RFI Visit to Global Fund

Mary Jo Kochendorfer (Unlicensed) and Rebecca

For reference: Discourse post by Mary Jo here will continue to be updated throughout the week

Mary Jo will be pinging people to solicit inputs

Deadline for submission extended to Jan 21st 

Visit to Global Fund- conduct demo late Feb early March. Would like a community member to come and co-present with us. Who is interested/available? Let Rebecca Alban know.


DIAL and Software Freedom Conservancy

(skipped)

Michael D / Carl Leitner

 1) the potential need to trademark the OpenLMIS Trusted Partner logo.   What types of services SFC can provide in this regard and how can DIAL can help facilitate?  

2)  pros and cons about moving the copyright from Village Reach to a third party such as SFC.


Conferences and Meetings

Conferences provide the community the opportunity for OpenLMIS members to speak or represent the OpenLMIS software and community in public forum.



All

Conferences 

  • Global Health Supply Chain Summit (GHSCS)
  • Global Digital Health Forum
  • Digital Square Global Goods Implementers Meeting-Dec 13
  • Angola
    • Linking facility data (Connect-A-Thon)
    • Postponed  

World Health Summit for Digital Health Principles

  • Launched Principles of Donor Alignment for Digital Health -details available here 
  • Global Good Guidebook was presented (OpenLMIS is featured in here)- details available here

Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition- General Meeting



Opportunities Roundtable

Definitions to use shared terminology:

  • Implementation opportunity: an opportunity for an implementation or deployment of the OpenLMIS software.  Usually this is done at a national or sub-national level within a ministry of health. This can also include feature work which would be done within the implementation and contributed back to the global codebase.
  • Community opportunity: a funding opportunity to support an organization or individual to work directly on the global codebase and/or administrate the community processes. This may include funding specific features on the community roadmap.
Rebecca Alban

Community implementation opportunities:

  • This Trello table is being updated on an ongoing basis; to help the core team to track and manage implementation opportunities, but also provides a detailed snapshot of the scope and status of current implementation opportunities for stakeholders.
  • Do we add things like this to the Trello table or develop a different way to track:



For next meeting: InteroperabilityCarl Leitner Josh Zamor

What is our strategy for interoperability?

list some interoperability use cases on a wiki page

strategy for fostering connections with other orgs: for example: TransIT

link to documentation in 3.5 about interoperability


AOB


Community and Product Updates
Product Updates
Community Updates




ATTENDANCE

Carl LeitnerBrian Taliesin, Tamara Goldschmidt (BAO), Amanda BenDorAshrafBrandon Bowersox-JohnsonCraig Appl (Unlicensed)Gaurav BhattacharyaJosh ZamorKaleb Brownlow (Unlicensed)Lindabeth DobyMAHMUDUL ISLAMMary Jo Kochendorfer (Unlicensed)Mattias Wiklund (Unlicensed)Parambir S Gill (Unlicensed)Wesley Brown




RECORDING AND CHAT TRANSCRIPT   

Meeting Recording:
https://zoom.us/recording/share/V959lO5z98x-kfv4Pa0Jrfj58M6VBNW95JIjixx7iu6wIumekTziMw




ADDITIONAL READING